Don't Forget...

When you get to the bottom of the page, click on "older posts" to go to the next page.
Sometimes we add so many posts at one time they won't fit on the first screen!

Friday, January 29, 2010

Trash to Treasure

Lately we have been seeing tons of bloggers turning true junk into fabulous projects all for a bargain price. In this post, guest blogger Erin will show you how she turned this hideous mirror (found at the Derby Good Will for $1.50 earlier this week) into a cute accessory for her daughter's bedroom.

Let's start by taking a peek at the "before" photo:

Isn't that.... um... how do we put this tactfully.... unattractive? The mauve and blue metallic fabric paired with years of dirt and grime made this piece looked over for years. It took me a bit to look past all of that and see it's potential. I snatched it up (and almost felt the need to explain my odd purchase to the cashier...) and headed over to Scrappin' Time. While I was there I picked out a few pieces of patterned paper from Pink Paislee, a yard of pre-cut ribbon and a bottle of stickles. After lots of destroying and then rebuilding, here is how my trash re-craft turned out:Here's a close up of the mirror's frame:


On the bottom right part of the mirror I stamped a fox from Imaginisce's Twitterpated line that I bought at Scrappin' Time last summer. I cut the polka dot Pink Paislee paper (found on the Valentine's Day display just inside the front door) into 1" x 6" strips and wrapped them around the edge of the frame, securing them in back with adhesive (zip dry would work great for this!) I added the green ribbon to hang it from before gluing the frame to the backing. As a finishing touch I highlighted sporatic polka dots with stickles and folded a few strips of 1/2" x 6" strips accordian style and glued (with zip dry) them over the ribbon to add some depth.

What do you think? Worth the $1.50 investment? I think so!! Have you re-purposed anything lately ? Send us an email (or leave a link in the comment section) and tell us how products from Scrappin' Time helped you turn "Trash into Treasure" and we might even feature it in a future blog post!! Thanks for looking!!

No comments:

Post a Comment